1eng

 

Re-consecration of another Armenian Church in Javakheti PDF Print E-mail
News

A1On July 1, 2018, the Primate of the Armenian Diocese in Georgia, His Grace Bishop Vazgen Mirzakhanyan re-consecrated Holy Trinity (Surb Yerordutyun) Church, built in 1865, in the village of Kulikam, Akhalkalaki region.
The first renovation of the church was completed in the late 90s of the last century thanks to the donation of local benefactor Stepan Uzunyan. Years later, the villagers did not consider enough the renovation done, they joined the benefactors Stepan Uzunyan, Ghazar Miranyan and with support of whole the settlement IMG 5069completely renovated the temple, improved church's surroundings, prepared Holy Altar with beautiful Armenian ornaments which gave more glorious appearance to the Holy Trinity Church.
The residents of the village welcomed the Diocesan Primate and clergy with traditional bread and salt, dhol and zurna music at the center of the village.
Festive mood prevailed everywhere, the villagers gathered at the church courtyard, where Sargis Uzunyan, one of the honored residents of the village greeted the attendees and told them the history of village of Kulikam.
Afterwards, the Diocesan Primate presided over the re-consecration ceremony, with the participation of Rev. Father Tatev Marukyan, Pastor of Surb Khach (Holy Cross) church in Akhalkalaki and nearby villages, accompanied by Rev. Father Tigran Mkhitaryan, Pastor of Saint Sargis church in Diliska and nearby villages. After the Opening of the Doors (Drnbatsek) Service, the Holy Altar, Baptismal Font and 16 columns were blessed with Holy Chrism.
IMG 4863Samvel Manukyan, Member of Georgian Parliament, representatives of Akhalkalaki local self-government, guests from various regions and villages as well as from Armenia attended the solemn ceremony.
Rev. Father Tatev Marukyan celebrated the first Divine Liturgy at the newly opened and renovated church. During the Divine Liturgy, the faithful partook of Confession and took Holy Communion.
At the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy, the Diocesan Primate conveyed fatherly blessings and warm wishes of His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians. His Grace congratulated the faithful on the occasion of re-consecration of the Holy Trinity church and wished the light that is emanating from Holy IMG 5087Etchmiadzin always keeps bright this House of God in Kulikam village. His Grace highly appreciated the work done and offered his blessings to all the participants of the church reconstruction work – builders, masters, benefactors and other sons of the Armenian people. The Divine Liturgy was concluded with the “Protector” Prayer of the Primate of the Armenian Diocese in Georgia.
IMG 5084At the end of the Divine Liturgy, the attendees moved to the village square, where the opening ceremony of the memorial of Arhur Gahribyan took place. The latter was born in the family of Kulikam villagers living in the city of Stepanavan, Armenia. He died in 1992, in Artsakh. A Requiem Service was offered and friends of the deceased young freedom fighter were in attendance.
Afterwards, the cultural event took place. Patriotic poems, folk and national songs sounded and dances were performed by the talented artists from Armenia within the frameworks of the concert program. Freedom fighters from Armenia also took part in the celebration.
At the end of the festive day, blessing of Matagh (Thanksgiving Animal Sacrifice) took place at the newly renovated ceremony hall. The Matagh was distributed to the faithful.
Kulikam is one of the Armenian-populated villages in Georgia. Basic occupation of local residents are cattle-breeding and agriculture. The ancestors of the villagers came from the village of Ankarich, Erzurum vilayet (the first-order administrative division, or province in Ottoman Empire), in 1830. The village had its church and parochial school adjunct to the church.

Armenian (Հայերեն)Georgian (ქართული)English (United Kingdom)Russian (Русский)