Period of Formation of the Armenian Diocese in Georgia
According to historical sources the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia as a separate ecclesiastical unit has existed since the 5th century. This fact is proved by the 10th century Armenian historian Ukhtanes of Sebastia, who is known for his “History in Three Parts”, in the chapter “History of the Severance of the Georgians and Armenians” he tells that already in the 5th century there was the residence of Armenian Bishop in Tsurtavi. It is remarkable that, even though Tsurtavi belonged to the Georgian Church, the Diocese there was Armenian, where from the 5th century by the order of Saint Shushanik church ceremonies were conducted in Armenian.
At the same time, it should be mentioned, that according to the 12th century Armenian historian Matthew of Edessa the greatest Georgian king David the Builder (1089-1125) gives for those times the highest status to the representation of Armenian Church in Georgia, the administrative center of which was in Tbilisi. It is assumed that the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia was founded in the 12th century. Since the 13th century the Cathedral of Surb Gevorg in Tpkhis (Tbilisi) has been the seat of the Primate of the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Georgia.
- Created on .
- Last updated on .
- Hits: 125