BISHOP NERSES ABRAHAMYAN
Bishop Nerses Abrahamyan was born on August 22, 1879, in Karasubazar (Crimea), in a family of worker, who was immigrant from Romania. Bishop Nerses Abrahamyan received his primary education at the local parochial school. He studied at the Nersisyn Theological School of Tbilisi, Georgia as well and upon the graduation he returned to his birthplace and served there as a teacher until 1903.
In 1905, Archbishop Aristakes, the Head of the Diocese of Armenian Church in Aragatsotn invited him to Astrakhan to serve as a teacher. Later Archbishop Aristakes ordained him as a deacon, then ordained and consecrated as a priest. For decades, he served as the Pastor of Armenian communities in Trans, Charjou, Termez, Kerki, Kokand and Port-Aleksandrovka.
During World War I Priest Nerses Abrahamyan served as the Spiritual Pastor for troops in the front line. During these years, he collected donations for the families of the Armenian soldiers, who were killed during World War II, as well as for the Armenian refugees from Turkey.
Gevorg VI Chorekchyan, Catholicos of All Armenians, by the especial Encyclical granted him the Pectoral Cross and the title of Archpriest, in recognition of his noble service.
In 1918, Archpriest Nerses Abrahamyan served in Krasnodar and provided great assistance to the Armenian families that had took refuge in Kuban.
In 1919, with the assistance of Archpriest Bekgulyants, he composed and published in Russian language the Armenian illustrated calendar; with provided interesting material about Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin, Armenian Churches, historical monuments and the Armenian Genocide conducted by the Turks.
In 1920, 1921, 1922, in Krasnodar, Archpriest Nerses Abrahamyan published calendars in Armenian language. After he returned to Armenia, he was ordained as a celibate priest and became a member of the Brotherhood of Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin.
On May 7, 1945, he received the rank of Archimandrite (Vardapet) and on July 1 of the same year, he was consecrated as a Bishop.
In 1945, by the National Ecclesiastical Assembly Bishop Nerses Abrahamyan was elected a member of the Supreme Spiritual Council and as the Head of the Diocese of Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia.
From 1945 to 1946 academic year, Bishop Nerses Abrahamyan served as a lecturer in the newly opened Theological Seminary at the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin.
In 1946, Bishop Nerses Abrahamyan was appointed to serve as the Diocese of Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Azerbaijan and Turkestan as the Primate. He moved to Baku, however, he was always spiritually connected to the Theological Seminary of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin.
Due to illness, Bishop Nerses Abrahamyan returned from Baku to Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin and deceased on February 5, 1948.