THE DIOCESE OF THE ARMENIAN APOSTOLIC ORTHODOX HOLY CHURCH IN GEORGIA

T Logo

The Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia is the part of One Holy Universal Apostolic Orthodox Armenian Church, founded in the first century by two of the Apostles of Jesus Christ, Saints Thaddeus and Bartholomew. Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church is one of the five ancient Eastern Oriental Orthodox churches.

At the beginning of the fourth century, Armenia became the first nation in the world to declare Christianity as the state religion through the work of the patron saint, Saint Gregory the Illuminator, and the decree of King Trdat III. As one of the oldest autocephalous national Christian churches, for more than 1,700 years Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church has steadfastly and devotedly followed the Lord Jesus Christ, His teachings, the teachings of His Holy Apostles, the sacred Church traditions, and the teachings of the graceful Saints and Church fathers.  

The center of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church has always been the Catholicosate of All Armenians. The global headquarters of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church is the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin, Vagharshapt, Republic of Armenia

The Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia is controlled according to the canons of the Holy Bible and the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church, by the blessings and guidelines of the Catholicos of All Armenians.

The Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia covers the whole territory of Georgia, which includes the Vicariate of Samtskhe-Javakheti and Tsalka as well. The Cathedral of Saint George (Surb Gevorg) in Tbilisi is the seat of the Primate of the Diocese. The Primate is the head of the Diocese and he is appointed by the order of the Catholicos of All Armenians.

On July 18, 2019 by the Pontifical order of His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians Very Rev. Fr. Kirakos Davtyan, has been appointed to serve as Locum Tenens in the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia.

DIOCESAN HEADQUARTERS

The Cathedral of Saint George (Surb Gevorg) in Tbilisi is the Headquarters of the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia since the 13th century. It was built in 1251. The Headquarters of the Diocese presides over the caring life of the Armenian population of Georgia, promotes the concentration of the Armenian community in Georgia around the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church, organizes educational, scholastic, informative, cultural, youth events for the preservation of the Armenian identity, national ethics, morals and values, proper celebrations all the rituals of Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church.

The Headquarters of the Diocese presides over the activities of Diocesan churches, monasteries and chapels throughout Georgia, as well as manages various educational, scientific, scholastic, informative, and cultural; sports, youth and children’s centers (more you can see in the Departments, Centers section of the website).

The Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia closely cooperates with the State Agency for Religious Affairs in Georgia, the Georgian Orthodox Church, the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia in Georgia, the relevant institutions and Ministry of  the Diaspora, Culture, Education, Science, Sports, and Youth of Armenian, as well as with  several religious, social, scientific and cultural organizations and unions, both in Georgia and abroad. The respected partners of the Diocesan are “Calouste Gulbenkian” Foundation and “Vartan Jinishian” Memorial Foundation.

Brife HISTORY OF THE DIOCESE OF THE Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia

According to historical sources, the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia as a separate ecclesiastical unit has existed since the 5th century. The 10th century Armenian historian Ukhtanes of Sebastia proves this statement. In his book “History in Three Parts”, in the chapter “History of the Severance of the Georgians and Armenians”, the famous historian declares that already in the 5th century there was an official residence of the Armenian Bishop in Tsurtavi. It is remarkable that, even though Tsurtavi region belonged to the Georgian Church, there was an Armenian Diocese there, where from the 5th century by the directive of Saint Shushanik the church ceremonies were conducted in Armenian.

At the same time, it should be mentioned, that according to the 12th century Armenian historian Matthew of Edessa, the greatest Georgian King David the Builder (1089-1125) granted the Highest Status to the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia, the administrative center of which was in Tbilisi. It is assumed that the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia was officially founded in the 12th century itself in Tbilisi. Since the 13th century, the Cathedral of Saint George (Surb Gevorg) in Tbilisi declared to be the seat of the Primate of the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia.

In July 2011, the Georgian parliament passed a law allowing religious communities in Georgia to receive Special Status. Based on that law, on March 12, 2012, the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia is registered in the Public Registry of the Ministry of Justice of Georgia as a legal entity under Public Law.

As of today, the Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Holy Church in Georgia has 27 clergies and 63 active churches and chapels in the whole territory of Georgia, including the Vicariate of Samtskhe-Javakheti and Tsalka as well.

Contact us

5, Samghebro St., 0105 – Tbilisi, Georgia
Phone: +995322922248
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 ©2021 Վիրահայոց թեմ. Բոլոր իրավունքները պաշտպանված են